Winter has arrived and HouseplanHunters.com wants to help you bundle up and save on your monthly hydro bill.
Weatherproofing your home
During the winter, a lot of energy and money is wasted through heating a home. Large amounts of heat escape, leaving the owner vulnerable to drafts, moistures and pollutants. Weatherproofing not only helps lower or even eliminate unwanted exterior elements from entering a home, but also optimizes energy efficiency and reduce your carbon footprint.
Major Sources for Air Leaks
- 31% – ceilings, floors and walls
- 14% – fireplace
- 10% – windows
- 15% – ducts
- 2% – electrical outlets
- 11% – doors
- 13% – plumbing entries
- 4% – fans and vents
Air leakage amounts to 25 – 40% of heat loss in a typical Vancouver home.
Becoming more energy sufficient can be really easy and don’t require major building changes. To lower your hydro bill, just change the way we use energy in general.
Here are some helpful tips to follow:
- Save up to 35% by upgrading to Energy Star appliances
- Save up to 75% by switching to energy efficient lighting
- Save up to 12% by taking shorter showers
- Save up to 23% by wearing a sweater instead of heating
- Save up to 14% by air drying laundry
- Save up to 10% by using cold water for laundry loads
BUT, we can save the planet too…By reducing our appetite for energy we cut greenhouse gas emissions by 1-4 tons a year.
Information compiled from
Infographic done by www.coniform.com